News and Events
Historical Society of Penney Farms
News and Events Historical Society of Penney Farms
Upcoming Events
Historical Society of Penney Farms 4th Annual Golden Rule Social
Special Guests: J.C. Penney (AKA John Bowles) & J.C. Penney Department Store Employee, B.J. Johns
Topic: “Mr. Penney Goes Shopping”
Time: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Venue: History Museum
Location: 4100 Clark Avenue, Penney Farms, Florida, United States,
Organizer: Historical Society of Penney Farms
The Meeting is FREE and Open to the Public

Bloomin’ Bucks
Your Support is a Beautiful Thing!
The Historical Society of Penney Farms encourages you to participate in the Centennial Celebrations for the PRC Community in 2025 and the Town of Penney Farms in 2026. As you may know, narcissus bulbs from the Leseman Farm were one of the most successful crops from Penney Farms. Mr. Leseman has been our guest speaker on numerous occasions. The Community Garden will have narcissus in bloom, but we hope to see them bloom throughout the community to celebrate these important anniversaries. If you would like to order some narcissus bulbs (or others) from Brent and Becky, 25% of your product total will come back to the Historical Society. This fundraiser will help support us and beautify the community for the centennials. The website to order is Bloomin Bucks – Brent & Becky’s Bulbs or you can call (877)-661-2852 ext. 107
Fundraiser to Celebrate the Centennials of Penney Retirement Community in 2026 and Town of Penney Farms in 2027.

News
NEWS FROM April 9th, 2026
“A Deadly Gilded Age Fashion Trend”
by Bob Scallan
NEWS FROM November 13th, 2025
The Day WWII Came to Jacksonville
On July 20, 1944 the ‘First Coast’ got a taste of WWII in the Riverside area of Jacksonville when two P-51 Mustang airplanes crashed there in a residential neighborhood. On November 13th, 2025, attendees at the Historical Society of Penney Farms learned the whole story from Bob Scallan, retired educator and owner of Orange Park History Tours.
As Mr. Scallan explained, the pilots, John Keene Egar, age 18 from Jacksonville, FL and James Richard Cope, age 20, wing man, from Mt. Lebanon, PA, disobeyed orders to return to their base in Tampa due to inclement weather. Instead, they flew to Jacksonville, 180 miles off course, to fly over Egar’s childhood home on Post Steet. As Egar clipped the tops of trees, Cope pulled up, accelerated and stalled. Not only were trees damaged; the engine broke away, catapulted through the air, and was stopped by a brick building at 2835 Post Street. Miraculously, the only civilian casualty that morning was 28 year-old, Millard McGhee who was in his bathroom shaving as he prepared for work. That brick building still stands today with the repair outlined by patched cement and bricks. Fortunately, the streets were empty as most cars were garaged due to rationing of gas, rubber and metal for the war effort. Egar’s mother, in the yard raking leaves, witnessed her son’s plane crash.
Both young pilots were killed. Cope is buried in Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania and Egar is interned in Jacksonville’s Evergreen Cemetery. The incident did not receive very much press because it was overshadowed by the attempted assassination of Adolph Hitler and it was one of many navy and marine “accidental training deaths”.
Plan to attend the next general meeting of the Historical Society of Penney Farms on Thursday, January 13, at 7 PM. For more information, email: info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
or visit https://historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
NEWS FROM October 9th, 2025

On October 9th, the Historical Society of Penney Farms was privileged to have Leonidas Wade (aka John Bowles) as their guest speaker for the general meeting.
As Mr. Wade explained, there were over 1200 rental rooms in Green Cove Springs when river boats brought tourists who sought the medicinal benefits of the healing water.
In 1880, Mr. Wade, an attorney living at the time in the Springfield area of Jacksonville, had studied law on his own and finally passed the bar exam. To his wife’s dismay, he purchased some land, sight unseen, in Clay County off of Moody Road in Orange Park near what is now Montclair Elementary School.
That is when his water business began! One day, a friendly juror at the old courthouse advised him to bottle the water from the spring on his property. His wife would have no part of what was wilderness at that time, but Leonidas hired two young men to help him, and they proceeded to bottle and sell the delicious, odor free, fizzy, spring water from that land for $2.50 a bottle to the hotels. There were appreciative guests in the many rooms, not only in Green Cove Springs, but also in St. Augustine. Their water lacked the smell of rotten eggs, common in most spring water, and had a pleasant, fizzy taste to it. Even at $2.50 a bottle, they would sell out. Despite the haul from Moody Road, by train to Jacksonville and then horse and buggy to St. Augustine, the boys were very successful and sold out; 300 bottles in 1 hour. The boys would wash discarded brewery bottles, fill and cork the delicious mineral wate,r and back again they would go.
The water was sent to New York for testing. It seems that it had a lot of minerals but also a radium content causing it to effervesce… but it really tasted good!
Eventually, Leonidas got back to his law practice and moved permanently to Clay County. His successful law practice flourished. He was highly respected and represented black and white, rich and poor, even those who could not pay. Once he encountered Mr. J. C. Penney, “a man with his heart in the right place”, at the Qui Si Sana Hotel when he was stopped over on his way to Belle Isle.
More personally, the first Mrs. Wade, unwilling to join her husband in Clay County, was divorced by Leonidas and he happily married his secretary, with whom he is pictured, sitting at the desk, now used at the Clay County Historical Society. As his law career soared, he served on the state legislature in Tallahassee and continued to glean a percentage of the profits from the sale of the delicious water from his Clay County property.
For more information about the museum, hours of operation, and events, please email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org, call (904) 742-1344, or visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
NEWS FROM September 11th, 2025
On September 11, 2025, guest speaker Christine Arnold, a local historian, discussed Keystone Heights which, interestingly, was a Chautaugua location in the early 1930’s. The Chautauqua Institution was established in 1874 at Chautauqua Lake in New York to train Sunday School teachers. Soon, well-known speakers began to attract attendees from distant locations. The Chautauqua, an Indian word for “bag tied in the middle”, would feature lectures on various topics, music, performing arts, recreational activities, social events and religious as well as moral instruction. The Chautauqua at Keystone Heights was a permanent Chautauqua, acknowledged by the Chautauqua Institution. As evidenced by correspondence from Roswell K. Penney in October of 1934, it had the support of J. C. Penney, a trustee and owner of the Chautauqua opera house building in Keystone Heights. That building burned in 1937 and the site is currently the location of the Women’s Club. In addition to the opera house, Chautauqua used a dry sinkhole for the amphitheater which still exists in Keystone Heights. Toward the end of the 1930’s, subsequent to the Great Depression and the rise of radio broadcasting, Chautauqua phased out. The recently formed Keystone Heights Chautauqua Foundation, a non-profit 501 (c) 3, has plans to restore the amphitheater and, in collaboration with the Women’s Club, accommodate weddings, concerts and plays as well as host an annual pop-up museum featuring guest speakers.
For more information about the museum, hours of operation, and events, please email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org, call (904) 742-1344, or visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
NEWS FROM February 13th, 2025

Mr. Leseman pointing to a field of narcissus on his grandfather’s land in Penney Farms circa 1930
On February 13, the Historical Society of Penney Farms welcomed Bill Leseman of Tallahassee, whose grandfather came to Florida from New Jersey in search of a better life.
His application was accepted by J. C. Penney, and in 1928, he brought his family to their homestead in Penney Farms. Although his narcissus bulb farm in Penney Farms prospered, Mr. Penney’s fortune collapsed with the Great Depression, and most of Penney’s assets in Penney Farm were transferred to Formost Properties, Inc. in 1932.
Farm lots were numbered if they were to be exempted from that deed, but, sadly, the Leseman property (Lot #8) was not included. Eventually, this oversight was researched, but there was no proof that their property was, indeed, theirs. Although receipts showed not only payment but an overpayment of $2750.00, and they claimed annual homestead exemptions, there was no deed recorded for their property. To settle it, an agreement was offered in 1954 whereby the Lesemans would be permitted to remain on their property until the time of their death.
Having successfully farmed the land for most of his adult life, he and his wife died in their 80’s and their 40 acres were given to a Reinhold employee. Later, the property was sold and eventually lost to taxes.
For more information about the museum, hours of operation, and events, please email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org, call (904) 742-1344, or visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
Regular museum hours are 9 – 1 Monday through Friday;
NEWS FROM November 14th, 2024
On November 14, the Historical Society of Penney Farms, welcomed Randolph and Louisa Padgett. Many of the resources and pictures, Louisa Weeks Padgett used, were her father’s whose family were early settlers in an area called Waller. Implements including his branding iron for cattle and his cattle whip were displayed and pictures included a vineyard, a persimmon grove, potato and other fields of produce.
Louisa recalled that, when she was about 8 years-old, she helped her father herd cattle. He told her if anything happened, especially crossing the creek, she should let the horse take her home. She determined that she could find her own way home and that scenario would not happen! Cattle were herded and sent to the stockyards in Jacksonville and some were shipped to Cuba from New Smyrna.
Jim Farley contributed to the discussion, recalling the introduction of large, strong Brahman bulls into the herd. A Mr. McCrory (5&Dime fame), grief stricken, subsequent to the loss of his son due to a gun accident in Florida, sold his 4,200 cattle herd to J. C. Penney. Gordon Bass, who rode for McCrory, assisted in the transfer and settled nearby on Kentucky Ave. The cattle would escape and head back home to South Florida but would always stop and be rounded up at the Ocklawaha River for the return trip to Penney Farms.
Also pictured was the School of Agriculture that offered a two-year program for tuition of $50. At the School of Agriculture, experts analyzed the soil, recommended where to put wells and offered other information, including home economics advice for the ladies, by experts from the University of Florida. The building was also used for administrative offices and later an Inn. It was not the Colonial Inn. The Colonial Inn, built by the WPA and CCC after the Depression, did use timber from the ag building. It was owned by Reinhold and later offered to the Penney Community for relocation to the current golf course land. It would have been at least $60,000 at the time to move the building, known to have termites, so it was subsequently burned. Many fond memories of it live on.
Other businesses and buildings were pictured. Among them, a poultry house, a canning factory, and Clark Failing’s Gas Station where tractors, trucks and tools were rented. Pictured were homes with 4 to 6 rooms on fenced lots of 20 acres. Available with electric lights, phone service, sheds and even indoor plumbing in some cases; they went to those who met very strict criteria. Other pioneer families, like the Weeks, had already settled in outlying areas and had small dairy and cattle businesses.
The presentation was followed by a Q&A session. Notably on the Penney Campus where the Quad Building is, Mr. Penney had a saw mill. Bascom Franklin, from Berea, KY, was recruited to oversee the construction for Mr. Penney. Local timber, much of it from land owned by Penney in Belmore, near Keystone Heights, was used but other special wood for the church was brought in by rail.
For more information about the museum, hours of operation, and events please email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org, call (904) 742-1344 or visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
NEWS FROM October 17th, 2024
On October 17th, at the Annual Meeting of the Historical Society of Penney Farms, the following officers were installed: Mark Davies, President; Pat Sickles Garlinghouse, Secretary and Linda Kocourek, Treasurer.
Attendees then heard from Penny Memorial Church archivist, Bob Hodges. Mr. Hodges’ team has been working for many months getting the archives in order and cataloging the contents in preparation for the Centennial Celebration of Penney Farms in 2026. The archives building is located in the old boiler room that served Penney Memorial Church for many years. Mr. Hodges shared plans for an expansion of that building for the archives.
Pictures, files, tapes, newspaper clippings and DVD’s are all being digitalized and backed up. Originals are boxed and labeled with cross referencing on a spreadsheet to better accommodate requests for information about the Penney Memorial Church, the residents, and the Penney Retirement Community. For unlabeled pictures, facial recognition software has been employed. A resident finding tool will help with names, arrival, burial, artwork, and publications of the 3,340 people who have been at Penney over the past 98 years. Although not currently open to the public, they hope to welcome you in their new archives space for the Centennial in 2026.
For more information about the museum, hours of operation, and events please email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org, call (904) 742-1344 or visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
NEWS FROM September 12th, 2024
On September 12, 2024, the Historical Society of Penney Farms reconvened after a summer hiatus. Joan, Mildred (Mom), and Tony Saunders were guest speakers. Tony’s memories of growing up in Penney Farms with twenty-two cousins included swimming in the pool, playing in the woods, swinging from vines, hunting snakes, and attending Clay High School with everyone.
The Saunders name rang a bell with many who were familiar with the Saunders Store that was next to the post office before it was torn down. Sam Saunders was a Supervisor of Elections and representative in Tallahassee and Mytzie Saunders was the Penney Farms Post Office mistress. Her husband Rev. James Saunders served as Mayor of Penney Farms for many years. Others who shopped at the old Brown and Cartwright Ace Hardware in Green Cove Springs knew Joan Saunders.
The Saunders’ history in this area began with great grandfather, McQueen Saunders, in the 1860’s, Married to Mary, they had 11 children; among them politicians, ministers, and even a tax collector. At first, they had 100 acres where they raised cattle. Later they turned to more profitable pulpwood. Slash pine was planted by hand taking 25 -30 years to harvest. They were not wealthy but there was always plenty to eat. Wild hogs provided smoked meat and they raised chickens, cows, and vegetables so it was seldom necessary to go to the store although deer ate everything except the mustard greens. The Saunders and the Padgetts worked for JC Penney and also in pulpwood, they ran logs down Black Creek to the St Johns River, a very dangerous job in which two uncles were injured.
Other work was available but pay was poor. Tony remembered, in his younger days, the Town of Penney Farms paying him .25/hour for mowing. Mildred recalled working in the cafeteria at Penney Retirement Community. As a young adult, Tony, a mechanic, recalled owning the gas station for a while but he extended too much credit. Eventually, he sold it to Rick, his friend, who still owns it at the corner of Clark and SR 16.
As life-long members of Black Creek Baptist Church, the family always put God first and closed all businesses at Noon on Wednesdays for Church. Due to having an itinerant preacher, Pastor Conway, Sunday Services were held every other week with dinner on the grounds behind the church after the service. The family is buried at Black Creek Baptist Church Cemetery and an association of families whose family members are buried there maintains it.
Mildred’s father, Jes Everett, had a sawmill and built several houses in the area including Mildred’s first house on Thunder Road. He got 20 acres to farm from JC Penney and also served in the volunteer fire department. Their first tanker truck is pictured on the back wall of the Penney Farms History Museum.
Indeed, the Saunders family helped to settle the county and stayed to build a community that we all enjoy today.
For more information about the museum, hours of operation, and events please email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org, call (904) 742-1344 or visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
NEWS FROM April 11, 2024
At the height of the Great Depression in the early 1930’s, Narcissus bulbs purchased direct from the
Leseman Farm in Green Cove Springs were shipped to almost every state and many people were employed in the fields and on the farm sorting and packaging the bulbs.
These are facts evidenced by the many detailed records and notes kept by his grandfather and shared by William Leseman from Tallahassee at the April 11 meeting of the Historical Society of Penney Farms. A power point presentation displayed records detailing State inspections and shipment of 2 – 4 million bulbs. Meanwhile, dignitaries such as the wife of President Hoover visited, Penney Farms produced a Rhodes Scholar and the grocery store was robbed by a gang from Tampa.
Mr. Leseman’s grandfather who came from New Jersey during the Florida Land Boom of the late 1920’s did his homework, researched what he could grow successfully and visited other Florida locations to determine where the best location would be for him and his family. His research paid off but not everyone living here was so lucky.
Without the financial support of J. C. Penney, many had to leave their homes in the Penney Community but Lesesman’s family was able to prosper and he served as the second town manager of Penney Farms during a very difficult time.
The Leseman family history in Penney Farms was in sharp contrast with what the rest of the nation experienced but it seems that flowers were appropriate even in the worst of times.
For more information about the museum, hours of operation, and events please email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org, call (904) 742-1344 or visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org
NEWS FROM Thursday, November 9, 2023
The Historical Society of Penney Farms welcomed a member of the Ladies Christian Aid Society, Lizzie Rutherford from Columbus GA (AKA Jean Dominguez from Lake Asbury) . Lizzie kept a detailed journal of her work with the Ladies Christian Aid Society during the Civil War. Ladies would come together to prepare boxes for the soldiers packed with items that they made at home. Lizzie’s box that she brought was filled with examples such as baked goods, pickles, preserves, honey, rolled bandages, lye soap, candles, writing paper/stamps, potholder quilts, and mending kits (housewives). underwear (drawers), knitted socks/gloves, matches (lucifers), and most importantly, Bibles. The boxes would be sent back to the front line with recuperated soldiers after furlough at private homes and churches that served as hospitals.

Jean’s delightful presentation was enthusiastically received. As she was dressed in period costumes from the Civil War era, she graciously explained the many layers of her lovely dress and how she got in and out of her car with it all!
For more information visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org or email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org.
NEWS FROM September 14, 2023
At their first meeting after a summer break, the Historical Society of Penney Farms hosted guest speakers Ryan Worthington and Barbara Bradley, “Friends of Gold Head Branch State Park” at the Penney Farms Historical Museum.
At the Mike Roess Gold Head Branch State Park, visitors can appreciate the original craftsmanship and limestone used in the construction of the Little Lake Johnson cabins, the Ranger Station, the bathhouse, the overlook, and Pavilion 32 which are still in use today. These structures were built between 1933 to 1942 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a government funded program after the Great Recession. Under the direction of skilled craftsmen, dozens of structures were built by the CCC at Gold Head. The CCC provided work for 18 – 25 year olds who received room and board plus $30.00/month of which $25 was sent home.
While all of the lakes have experienced a drop in water levels across the decades, the park, today, offers more conservation than recreation but it is still a great getaway to experience nature. It was noted that the new 26 mile Palatka to Lake Butler Rails to Trails is attached to Gold Head State Park. Rails to Trails provide recreation as well as alternate access for emergency vehicles. Bridges and all trails have to be substantial, well managed, and maintained by the state park that they are attached to. There is also a Trail from Palatka to Hampton that is complete.
The next meeting of the Historical Society of Penney Farms will be on October 12 at 7 PM in the Museum at 4100 Clark Avenue in Penney Farms. Cathie Parrott will discuss the Scenic Highway and attendees will enjoy a presentation about the evolution of the society and museum. This will also be the Annual Meeting for members with review and approval of revised bylaws and election of officers.
For more information visit www.historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org or email info@historicalsocietyofpenneyfarms.org.
Get In Touch
We’d love to hear from you!
Whether you have a question about the Historical Society of Penney Farms or the Town of Penney Farms Historic Museum we are ready to answer all your questions. Contact Historical Society of Penney Farms.
Sign Up
We’d love to keep you informed!
Receive awesome updates on Events, Meetings, and Newsletters. The Newsletter is sent out Monthly to notify you of upcoming Events. Your privacy is important to us and we will not share your information.
Get Involved
Your support helps us continue to preserve the rich history of Penney Farms for future generations and provide fun and educational programs to the community. As a member you receive the benefits of museum exhibits and activities, historical photographs and archives, and more importantly, you will be proud to know you support our mission to keep our history alive, preserved, and treasured by all.

Historical Society of Penney Farms

Elected Officers
Historical Society of Penney Farms 2023-2024
President – Mark Davies
VP – vacant
Secretary – Pat Sickles Garlinghouse
Treasurer – Linda Kocourek
Advisory Board: Cathie Parrott, John Bowles, Town of Penney Farms City Manager and Staff

Address
4100 Clark Avenue, P.O. Box 1041
Penney Farms, Florida 32079
Get Directions
Follow us on Facebook
Museum Hours
Call ahead at least a day prior to your visit and leave a call back number to schedule a tour of the museum (904) 742-1344.
